Subtext is a B Corp and digital studio in Portland, OR – creating digital experiences that transform brands, grow businesses, and improve people’s lives. Our clients include Gerber Gear, Clark Public Utilities, Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde, Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance, Skyward and more. We provide user experience design and development services, as well as ongoing digital marketing strategy and management for our clients.
Subtext is currently looking for a full-time UX/Visual Designer to add to our growing team. This position would be the primary resource for all Subtext projects, therefore leadership and inspired design are a must.
Why work at Subtext:
- Competitive Salary DOE
- 3 Weeks of Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays, including a full week off between Christmas and New Years.
- Supplemented Health, Dental, Vision Insurances
- Flexible Spending Account, Short-Term Disability and Life Insurance
- 401k with 100% match up to 3%
- Flexible working hours and location, half-day Fridays.
- Quarterly team-outings, volunteering and/or events
- Strong verbal and written communication. You will be responsible for client facing interactions and presentations. It is expected that you are able to communicate effectively both in strategy and design.
- Proven conceptual abilities. You must have the capacity to solve complex problems and be able to turn observations into actionable insights, collaborate on strategy and architectural planning, and lead the design process.
- Collaborate with digital strategists, project managers, web developers and external partners to concept and design for website, ecommerce, web applications, and digital marketing programs such as: email marketing, microsites, etc. May include multi-channel campaign concepting and development as well.
- Create visual language for project work. This will include deliverables such as: mood boards, style boards, brand and style guidelines, wireframes, web and email comps (pixel perfect in PSD/Sketch files, ready for development).
- Meet QA standards when overseeing creative and campaign execution to ensure accuracy and client satisfaction.
- 3-5+ years experience in UX and/or Interactive Design, preferably in an agency setting.
- Experience with responsive design, both for the web and for email.
- Thorough understanding of design fundamentals like color theory, typography, hierarchy, and layout.
- Advanced proficiency with design tools including Adobe Suite and/or Sketch, wireframing and prototyping tools.
- Experience with working closely with full-creative teams including copywriters, UX, and developers.
- Knowledge of digital marketing tactics and theories.
- Email marketing strategy and design experience is a plus, as is some offline/print experience as well.
- Ability to multi-task and stay organized under strict deadlines while attending to project quality and detail.
- Time management skills. Have proven experience participating in scoping hours, working against a budget, and hitting timelines.
- Have a general understanding of branding fundamentals and how they translate to marketing objectives.
- Self starter, autonomous
- Must have an online portfolio for review during interview.
- Experience using project management tools (e.g. Basecamp, Dropbox, etc.), digital timesheets, email service providers (e.g. ExactTarget, Silverpop, Mailchimp, etc.), content management systems (e.g. WordPress), ecommerce platforms (e.g. Shopify, Magento), Google Drive/Docs/Presentations and other digital tools designed to increase project efficiency.
What’s Going To Get You The Job:
- You challenge and defend design decisions with business goals, brand principles, and user data.
- You understand and champion the concept of “Test, measure, iterate, repeat”.
- You work well autonomously or with little direction.
- You find something that excites you about solving a client’s business problems in every project, not just the really sexy ones.
- You understand what ‘empathy’ means for your co-workers, clients, and their customers, and can passionately speak to why it’s such an important attribute to being successful within our industry.
- Working at a smaller, nimble and flexible agency feels exciting, not limiting. You see it as an opportunity to help define the agency’s culture and services, rather than having it dictated to you.
- You believe you can help clients move the needle at a range of budgets.
- You are a genuinely nice human being who values respect and diversity in the workplace.
How to Apply